Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 4 September 2012

Info Post
Welcome and thanks for visiting! We are in chapter 1 “Promises, Promises…I Need Something to Hold On To” in Sheila Walsh’s book The Shelter of God’s Promises.

Savings and retirement accounts.

Life insurance.

A home, preferably paid for.

I don’t know anyone who’s not concerned about one or more of these, including myself. Why? Why do we spend so much time and effort striving for these?

Security.

We want to know that we will have something to live on in our retirement years. We want to be sure our families will be taken care of and have a home base to come back to.

We want to feel safe. And protected.

Yet, as much as we need to pay attention to these things, we’ve learned in the past few years that they are not fool-proof.

The economy spirals downward. Jobs are lost. Homes are foreclosed on. People feel lost and unsure of the future, even after we think we’ve taken the necessary precautions.

Life happens and the solid foundation we thought we were on suddenly doesn’t feel so stable any more.   

Can I tell you something? We’re looking for security in the wrong places.

Christ is the One place where we will find absolute security. No matter what happens in this life, He is our shelter from the storms.

Security in Christ can’t be built up like our IRAs. It’s already there. God, in His immense love for us, did it all through the death and resurrection of His Son Jesus.

When sin entered our world in the Garden of Eden, it separated us from God. And even though we don’t deserve it, God promised not only to never leave us, but to bring us back to Him. And He did. He kept His promise through Christ.

God is the only One who can and will keep every promise He makes. Even when we don’t keep our promises, God does. If He says it, we can count on it. Every. Single. Time.

Promises like…

Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.
Deuteronomy 31:8 NLT [emphasis mine]

The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.”
Psalm 91:14-16 NLT [emphasis mine]

”When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.”
Isaiah 43:2 NLT [emphasis mine]

I—yes, I alone—will blot out your sins for my own sake
and will never think of them again
.”
Isaiah 43:25 NLT [emphasis mine]

“And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.”
Jeremiah 31:34b NLT [emphasis mine]

We may not be able to believe promises made by others, but we can absolutely believe God’s promises. And not only believe them, but believe that His promises are for you. And for me. And He will keep them.

Which of God’s promises do you find comfort in? Which do you turn to in times of trouble or distress? Leave a comment to share your verses.

In Christ,
Laura


0 comments:

Post a Comment